Hawaiian Adventures: Toddler Meltdowns

As mentioned in a previous post, we had a number of meltdowns on the plane. 4 for 4 on plane meltdowns to be exact but it wasn’t all horrid.  Let’s start from the beginning.


Up before the sun. Here we go!

Flight #1: Up before the sun

I had been prepping Squid for Hawaii time for about a week by sending him to bed later and later each night.  I hung up blackout curtains in his room to simulate “night” and block out the blinding morning sun.  It worked rather well but waking up at 5am was a bear.  It was more like 2 or 3 am for my poor little guy.  I had hoped he’d sleep on the 40 minute drive to the airport but no luck.  Oh boy.

I took allergen free suckers to help with his ears during take off and landing.  Take off was surprisingly great with a first time flier.  He did very well during the flight but the landing came with a fit.

Mistake #1: Not making sure the little guy got a nap.
I discovered later in my trip that my ring sling  is AMAZING!  I could put him in it any time he got tired and he would pass smooth out.  Had I known that trick at this moment, I would have used it.  Instead, I tried to let him play it out in hopes that we would land in Utah, eat lunch, and then nap.  That’s not how it happened at all!

Mistake #2: Suckers
Suckers are a huge, sticky mess for a 16 month old!  It was great for take-off but descending, as I found out, takes 20 to 30 minutes.  The suckers only entertained him for about 5 minutes before he started waving it around like a lightsaber and using them as drumsticks on the locked tray table…. and then attempting to stick them back in his mouth.  That would just be gross to a regular mom but it’s a worse case nightmare for an allergy mom!  After I took his suckers away (somehow he ended up with 3) and got him situated in my lap, it was full on meltdown time.  He screamed until the plane landed 😦 Poor guy.

I put him in the sling and got off the plane.  He passed out during our walk through the tunnel from the plane to the termknal.  I located the terminal for our next flight and took an extra long, well deserved, mommy lunch with a sleeping baby strapped to my chest.  Everyone in the restaurant enjoyed admiring the drooling little sack of potatoes.


Welcome to Utah!



Flight #2: Aloha!

Our flight from Utah to Hawaii was pretty similar but 3 times long.  6.5 hours of sitting with a toddler…. we got a little cabin fever so we did some crazy things to keep entertained.

In flight activities:

  • Eating a safe meal from home
  • Putting the movie screen in Japanese
  • Opening and closing the window over and over blinding the other passengers (sorry everyone)
  • Running up and down the aisles (sorry again everyone)
  • Taking crazy selfies to later send to Daddy
  • Napping (thank you Jesus!)
  • Pulling all the tissues out of the box in the bathroom.  Seriously, why would they put all the items that low?!
  • Playing in the floor (ICK!)
  • Opening “in flight gifts” and stuffing the paper between the seats (dont worry, I dug it out)
  • Played with cups (not sure why I brought toys, this was more entertaining)
  • And lastly, melting down YET AGAIN during the descent

Chicken in a cup. The best kind.

Mistake #3: Should have just held him
Here we go again but this time it was not from tired because he was plenty napped up and it was not from ears because he had an apple sauce pack, a cookie, and a drink the entire way down.  Nope, this time was because (1.) he wasn’t finished playing and didn’t want to be still and (2.) he thought it would be fun to unbuckle his belt a million times and got fit-throwing angry when I held it shut.  Guess I won’t be letting my lap baby sit alone again.  Geeze!



Flight #3: The Red Eye…. never again!

Take the red eye they said, you can sleep on the plane they said… clearly they’ve never flown with a toddler that takes up 2 seats to sleep.  There was no sleep for Mommy on this 5.5 hour flight home.

But before we actually got to sleeping or lack there of, we greeted our fellow passengers with an over-tired meltdown just after take off.

Mistake #4: Not putting him in the sling
The stewardess was coming down the aisles with the food carts and I didn’t want to be in the way.  Had I known they’d be taking forever, I would have just put him in the sling and rocked him to sleep.

Mistake #5: He saw the cup
I pulled his cup out of his bag to get it filled with water but as I mentioned, they were taking FOREVER.

So here we go in the worst meltdown of the entire trip.  He screamed for 40 minutes.  I mean full on, my mom is obviously trying to murder me back here, screams that I’d never heard come from him before.  Everyone was staring. People were trying to help because it’s 10pm and they want to sleep as much as I do.  I tried rocking him, walking him up and down the aisles, hiding in the bathroom, eating, drinking, singing but nothing was working.  FINALLY my poor, overtired little guy passed out in my lap.  I’m pretty sure I heard a collective sigh from the entire plane which included me.  He sprawled out on both seats leaving me with a corner but as long as he was sleeping, I was happy.


Flight #4: Tired again but almost home (I’m starting to see a theme here)

When we landed in Utah again, it was 3am Hawaii time.  Let’s just say, he was not ready to be awake.  I got him to take a nap in the airport so I thought we were good to go.  This was the only flight that he did not have his own seat.  I had him listed as a lap baby on all the flights but he ended up with his own seat on 3 of 4!  He did very well during this flight.  We colored, read, played games on my phone, played in the bathroom, but when we were running the aisles the plane hit some turbulence and they turned on the seatbelt signs.  Yet again, he was not done running around and he let everyone know!  We had started descending at this time too so luckily the flight was almost over.  He had an apple sauce pack, a cookie, and his water which kept him entertained until the applesauce was gone and then the real fun began.  He started throwing himself around, trying to get down but we were in the window seat of a 3×3 plane.  I hooked one arm around his chest and one between his legs and did the best I could to keep him calm for the last 10 minutes.  The instant we landed he stopped crying and then passed out soon after.  The guy sitting beside me said, “what just happened.”  I laughed and said, “tired baby wasn’t ready to sit.”  He slept the rest of the way out of the airport and the entire drive home.



Will I every fly again with a toddler?  Probably not this one.  I’ll wait until he’s older so he can understand what’s going on.  I know one thing for sure, I’LL NEVER FLY ALONE AGAIN!

Don’t let this scare you.  All kids are different and mine is very “opinionated” and not afraid to let everyone know apparently.  Judge by your own child’s personality but also learn from other people’s experiences. Be aware of how long your flight is so you can sit back down before you have to buckle and make sure your child is well rested.

On the bright side, no food allergy issues on the plane and we made it there and back safely!



Posted on September 15, 2014, in Food Allergies, Toddler, Travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: